What we offer
To learn more please see the Gap Fund Brochure
The Gap Fund provides a range of technical assistance and capacity building to support climate-smart planning and investment in cities in developing and emerging countries.
The Gap Fund can:
Provide city planners with upstream technical assistance and tailor-made tools to enhance cities’ low-carbon planning and resilience efforts to address urban sprawling growth;
Help city leaders build a pipeline of high-quality, climate-smart urban investments, with a focus on early and often underfunded stages of project preparation.
Facilitate the connection between cities and prospective financing partners, such as World Bank or EIB lending, or third-party financiers.
Leverage international collaboration and partnerships with the Global Covenant of Mayors and city networks to learn from each other and standardize approaches.
The Gap Fund will finance
the following activities:
- Supporting city climate strategy development and the generation of in-depth analytics to assess the climate action and resilience potential of plans, strategies, and investment programs
- Providing capacity building for low- carbon capacity and climate-resilient urban development
- Supporting the prioritization of investments as part of a climate strategy or investment program
- Defining project concept definitions and the components of pre-feasibility studies
- Supporting a strengthened approach to project financing
- Matchmaking with additional support sources for later stages of project preparation
- Offering potential support to fill in other project preparation gaps
The Gap Fund provide advisory and technical assistance support only. It may help identify further sources of funding for later project cycle stages but it is not designed to finance investments directly.